Students are expected to be in their classroom by 8:00 a.m. each morning, unless there is a scheduled late start or an emergency late start. If a student arrives to school after 8:00 a.m. or after the scheduled late start time, they are considered unexcused/tardy. Parents/guardians can excuse students for late arrivals/tardiness:
- Personally in the main office
- Email: Victoria.Wood@camas.wednet.edu
- Voicemail/phone: 360-833-5806
- Note with reason for late arrival
- Medical Provider’s Note
RCW28A.225 requires parents/guardians to excuse an absence with a written note or email within three days of the absence. A 24-hour phone line is available at 360-833-5806. Please call by 9:00 a.m. each day your student is absent. Please leave a message if the phone line is busy. The following information is required:
- Student’s first and last name
- Student’s grade
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
- Person leaving message and relationship to student
If your student is absent for six (6) consecutive days or more due to illness or health conditions, the school will need a note from your doctor or health provider. Students who are absent nine (9) days in a trimester or twenty (20) days of the school year will be required to have a doctor’s note to excuse further absences.
Automated Calling Service
An automated calling system will call a student’s home between 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. to report student absences. The absence will remain unexcused until it is cleared by a parent/guardian. A written note is required for students who have 5 or more absences per trimester.
Returning To School
Students returning from an absence need to do the following:
- Check with the Attendance Office and provide a written note to clear their absence.
- The student is responsible for requesting make-up work from the teacher upon their return to school
School Planned Absences
An absence from class for a field trip or extracurricular activity is not counted as an absence from school.
- The teacher or coach will provide advanced written notice of the students involved to administration, attendance, and other classroom teachers.
- Upon return to school, an admit slip for re-admittance into class is not required; however, the student is expected to make up the work missed due to the absence.
- A student who does not attend the pre-arranged activity is required to attend school unless other arrangements are made by the teacher or coach. A student who does not attend school will be reported truant by the teacher/coach.
School work should take precedence over all other activities such as, visiting, shopping, appointments, and trips. Family vacations are highly discouraged during the school year because it is difficult to make-up what is missed in class. If a student’s grades are below a 2.0, the administrator can elect to not approve the pre-arranged absence. In the event that your family must take a vacation during the school year, it is necessary to complete a pre-arranged absence form before the absence is to occur for it to qualify as an excused absence.
- Parents need to notify the Attendance Office by written notice\or telephone (833-5806) 3-5 days before the absence is to occur.
- The Attendance Office will provide a pre-arranged absence form to the student. The completed form should be returned two days before the absence. This allows teachers to gather assignments. Students who do not complete the pre-arranged form will be marked unexcused.
- Teachers from each class will document work to be made up and sign the form. (Work should be made up in advance whenever possible.)
- An administrator will review the form and approve if appropriate. The administrator has the right to deny a pre-arranged absence if the student has excessive absences and/or failing grades.
- The form must be returned to the Attendance Office prior to the absence.
- A copy of the signed form will be given to student.
Notification of dental and doctor appointments should be made in advance. Music or other enrichment lessons should be arranged outside of school time.
- Doctor’s office slip is required as proof of appointment.
- Parents or guardians must sign students in/out at the Attendance Office in the Student Center before students may leave or return to school for any reason.
Perfect attendance is defined as attending school every period of each school day for the calendar school year. If students are absent due to school-sponsored events, (e.g. field trips, pre-arranged school-to-work day, and activity or athletic events) they are considered “present” in school. Missed classes for doctor and dental appointments are excused absences, but do not
meet the requirements for perfect attendance.
Dropped From School
If a student is absent from school for twenty (20) consecutive school days without any contact from his/her parent, the school shall send to the parent a written notice of intent to withdraw the student from school unless within five (5) additional school days from the date of mailing, the student returns to school or the parent contacts the school. Rights of students to seek re-admission after such withdrawal shall be in accordance with District policy.