This year we are excited with the response from students and families for our Language Arts/Social Studies Pre-AP Class offerings. All students who have met the qualifications and received their notification letter, which will be mailed by the end of June, are required to complete a summer project by the first day of school, September 6, 2011. No late work will be accepted.
Summer projects are a fantastic way for students and their teachers to start the year off ready to discuss and learn together. The Pre-AP Language Arts/Social Studies class is structured to be an integrated learning environment, meaning students will practice and improve reading and writing skills through the content of history and social studies. The Summer Project is designed to prepare students for their first unit of study. Required reading is available at the public library, local bookstores and via the internet. Have a fantastic summer, we look forward to seeing some great Summer Projects September 6!
Mr. Blair, a health/fitness teacher here at Skyridge, will be attending his 30th high school reunion this summer in Ohio. Instead of flying or driving, he will be pedaling his road bike across the country! If you would like to “ride along” with him, visit his Facebook page. Mr. Blair plans to post daily comments/pictures during his ride. He will depart from Everett, WA, on June 23 and finish in Washington D.C. on August 5… 44 days, 14 states, 3,200 miles. Mr. Houston, also a Skyridge health/fitness teacher, and his family will ride across Washington state with Mr. Blair to make sure he gets a great start. Good luck, Mr. Blair!
Join the fun, experience Pacific Northwest natural landscapes, and get some exercise all in the name of supporting Camas kids!
Registration and details are available at the CEF website.
Our Skyridge athletes have had an outstanding year under the direction of our Athletic Coordinator, Bob Foster, and all of our dedicated coaches! Our program continues to grow each year. Here are some highlights from this year:
- 428 student athletes participated in sports this year
- The GPA average for all athletes is 3.49
- The Skyridge track team competes with 25% of our student body or 188 athletes
- The track team has a team GPA of 3.49
- The 8th grade Boys Basketball team led all teams with a GPA of 3.7
- 8th Football finished 4th
- 7th Girls Cross Country were League Champions
- 8th Girls Volleyball were League Champions and won the District Tournament
- 8th Girls Basketball were League Champions and also won the District Tournament
- 8th Boys Basketball finished 3rd in league and 4rd in the District Tournament
- Track is currently undefeated and looks to have a great District Meet on June 2
Congratulations to Mr. Mattson’s Pre-AP class and a huge thank you to the Camas Education Foundation! Today we were informed that the grant Mr. Mattson’s class researched, wrote and presented, IPods Touches: Touching Children’s Learning Experiences, has been chosen and awarded $7,500. With this money, during the 2011-12 school year our teaching team will pilot the use of a Learning Lab that consists of twenty 8GB iPod Touches to identify best teaching practices with these devices. This lab will be a lasting legacy from the Class of 2015 to the future student body of Skyridge
Our 8th grade students are looking forward to their future as CHS Papermakers! Our Skyridge and Liberty PTO’s have partnered in offering a special t-shirt and/or hoodie spirit wear opportunity for our Class of 2015. Details are shown on the order form (below). Orders are due May 19 so that delivery can occur prior to the 8th grade assembly and optional dance happening at CHS on June 2.
Skyridge Middle School’s Reese Pathak is one of four local teen composers featured at the Hearing the Future concert!
The Camas School District offers a Pre-Advanced Placement (Pre-AP) program for Language Arts and Social Studies (LA/SS) and Advanced Math at the middle-school level. Both programs reflect high academic expectations and are available for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students. Click the link below to read more and complete the interest form.
What will be covered? Our parent education night will focus on:
- Current drug and alcohol trends and issues affecting Camas kids
- Results from the Fall 2010 Healthy Youth Survey
- District drug & alcohol curriculum and tobacco prevention program
- Resources available to Camas parents
… and featuring the following presenters:
- Glenn Hartman and Linda Hutchins, CSD Drug and Alcohol Intervention Specialists
- Sherrie Geiger, Skyridge MS Health Teacher
- Rachel Williams, CHS Health Teacher
- Detective from the Clark County Drug Task Force
- Students involved in the CHS Prevention Club
- Drug and Alcohol Treatment Professionals
Who should attend? Any CSD Parent or member of community member who is interested in protecting the health of Camas youth should attend.
When is it? Wednesday, April 20, from 6:30 – 8:00 PM
Where will it take place? CHS Library
We hope you are able to attend this year’s Parent Education Night. This will be an informative evening that both students and parents will find relevant and useful.