Reporting an Absence: 360-833-5852
RCW28A.225 requires parents/guardians to excuse an absence within three days of the absence, either by phone or a written note.
A 24-hour phone line is available at 833-5852. Please call by 9:00 a.m. each day your student is absent. Please leave a message if the phone line is busy. A written note is required after five or more days of absence.
The following information is required:
- Student’s first and last name
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
- Person leaving message and relationship to student
If your student is absent for five (5) consecutive days or more due to illness or health conditions, the school will need a note from your doctor or health provider.
Students who are absent nine (9) days of any trimester will be required to have a doctor’s note to excuse further absences. The student is responsible for requesting make-up work from the teacher upon their return to school.
Notification of dental and doctor appointments should be made in advance. Music or other enrichment lessons should be arranged outside of school time.
Parents or guardians must sign students in/out at the Attendance Office in the Student Center before students may leave or return to school for any reason.
Students are expected to be to class on time. Late arrival is disruptive not only for the affected student but also the entire class. When a student arrives after the bell or start of class, they will be marked tardy. Tardy students should always check in at the attendance window before going to class. Students arriving 10 minutes or more after the start of class will be marked absent. Habitually tardy students will be assigned detention. See Consequence Matrix on page 12.
Missed Work for Unexpected Absences
Students are expected to make up the work missed during an absence, and generally have two days to make up work for each day of absence. If unexpectedly absent for two or more days, a parent may call 833-5852 to request homework through the attendance office. In the event that make up work by a student requires out-of-class assistance from a teacher, the teacher and the student will mutually agree when the make up time will occur (usually between 7:30-7:45 am, or 2:30-3:00 pm).
School Related Absences
An absence from class for a field trip or extracurricular activity is not counted as an absence from school.
- The teacher or coach will provide advanced written notice of the students involved to administration, attendance, and other classroom teachers.
- Upon return to school, an admit slip for re-admittance into class is not required; however, the student is expected to make up the work missed.
- A student who does not attend the pre-arranged activity is required to attend school unless other arrangements are made by the teacher or coach. A student who does not attend school will be reported absent by the teacher/coach.
School work should take precedence over all other activities such as visiting, shopping, appointments, and trips. However, if a family trip is planned during the school year, it is necessary to complete a pre-arranged absence form before the absence is to occur for it to qualify as an excused absence.
- Parents need to notify the Attendance Office by written notice and/or telephone (833-5852) 3-5 days before the absence is to occur.
- A pre-arranged absence form will be provided to the student.
- Teachers from each class will document work to be made up and sign form. (Work should be completed in advance whenever possible.) Since students will miss classroom instruction and in-class activities while away, not all work will be able to be made up. Alternate assignments may be available.
- An administrator will review the form and assignments and sign if appropriate.
- The form must be returned to the Attendance Office prior to the absence.
- A copy of the signed form will be given to student.
Missed Work for Pre-Arranged Absences
Whenever possible, teachers will assign work to be completed during the absences. When this is the case, this assigned work is due on the first day of the student’s return to school. If work was not assigned or provided prior to the absence, students have a maximum of 5 school days to complete and turn in the work, regardless of the length of the absence.
Perfect attendance is defined as attending school every period of each school day for the school year. If students are absent due to school sponsored events, (e.g. field trips, pre-arranged school-to-work day, and sport team members) they are considered “present” in school. While excused, absences due to medical or other appointments do not meet the requirements for perfect attendance.
Dropped From School
If a student is absent from school for twenty (20) consecutive school days without any contact from his/her parent, the school shall send to the parent notice of intent to withdraw the student from school unless within five (5) additional school days from the date of mailing, the student returns to school or the parent contacts the school. Rights of students to seek re-admission after such withdrawal shall be in accordance with District policy.