Volunteers“Volunteers don’t necessarily have the time, but they have the heart.”
Dorothy Fox is so thankful for all the parents, family members, and community patrons that volunteer to give our students the best educational experience possible.
If you are interested in volunteering at Dorothy Fox Elementary, we would love to have you! Volunteer opportunities vary and most volunteers can find a match to fit their schedule and style.
HOW DO I SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER?
1. Teachers will have sign-up lists to volunteer available at back to school night and during fall conferences. Some volunteers like to set up a regular schedule while others come for special scheduled events. Examples include helping the teacher with production items, reading with children, helping small groups with math, supporting special art and science projects, fields trip, and stuffing Friday Folders to name a few. You should feel comfortable contacting your child’s K-5 teacher and sharing that you are interested in volunteering.
2. Being a PTA member and helping with PTA events is a wonderful way to volunteer and help Dorothy Fox Elementary as well. The PTA has a volunteer coordinator who can help match volunteers to specific events such as the school carnival, school pictures, fundraising help, and charity drives. The volunteer coordinator for 2016-17 is Mrs. Michelle Farley. You can contact the PTA about volunteering on their webpage at http://www.dorothyfoxpta.org/volunteer.html.
3. The Fox School Library is a place that always needs help. Please contact our librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org‘ for information about volunteering in the Dorothy Fox library.
4. Special programs can often need volunteers to work with students with special needs on special art projects, weekly cooking projects, and help with basic skills. These student need adults with a lot of patience and folks with a heart for special kids. These students are incredible people and are a delight to work with for those that are interested. Please contact our special program teachers to help students with hands-on projects and study help. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Our students benefit when caring adults are on the playground modeling positive behavior and conflict management. We welcome volunteers who want to come and be a recess or lunch room buddy. We are in great need of folks willing to referee basketball and soccer games at recess with our older students. Anyone interested in coming to run an intramural activity where teams can compete in an organized brackett would be welcomed. Please contact the school office.
If you wish to volunteer in the school, please contact your child’s teacher or ask the secretary for a volunteer application form. The office will also ask to make a copy of your ID when applying to volunteer. Please allow at least five school days for the district to process and clear your volunteer application before helping out at school or chaperoning. An approved volunteer application form lasts for 2 years.
Parents and other visitors are always welcome in our school. For the safety of our children, we must insist that all visitors come to the office before going to any location on campus so we can review an approved ID card. Additionally, this check-in procedure allows staff to know who is in the building in case of an emergency. So please, come to the office to check in even if you have been here many times or are just having lunch. Our intent is never to offend or discourage your visits; we just need to account for everyone in our building.
Dorothy Fox Office Staff and PTA offer training for volunteers every fall. This can help new folks understand how to navigate the office, use the copy machine, find materials, understand confidentiality issues, etc.
VOLUNTEER TRAINING IS OFFERED TWICE A YEAR IN SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER.